Car window tint is an option that people should consider when getting a car, and it’s something that should be considered as soon as possible. The reason for this is simple: for maximum safety, comfort, and style, in the long run, you want to have a tint that’s just right for your needs and it takes time to find that perfect tint. Here are some factors to consider when choosing what percentage of window tint is best for your car.
Tips for choosing the right window tint percentage
To help you find the perfect tint for your car, here are a few tips to keep in mind as you do your research:
1. Be sure that the percentage of tint you choose allows enough light into the car for it to be safe and legal. If there isn’t enough light getting into the car and you’re pulled over, you could be fined or arrested; having a tint that is too dark isn’t worth it.
2. Most states have regulations about the darkness of window tint on the front windows as well as where it can be placed on those windows. Be sure to check these regulations before buying your tint because it can be expensive to have a tinting company remove and reapply the film as regulations change.
3. The higher the intensity, the darker and more effective your tint will be. However, keep in mind that as your tint gets darker, you decrease your own visibility to those outside the car. Decide what level of darkness is best for your needs.
4. If you live in a sunny climate, consider the type of tint you want before purchasing it. You may not need to protect yourself from very much heat or sunlight getting into the car; if you do, though, be sure that even really dark tints allow enough light in to see properly while driving and are not so dark that it is hard to find the switch for the windshield wipers when they are turned off.
5. In some places tinting your car windows can be very expensive, but in others, it’s a great way to save money on energy bills and protect yourself from the sun at the same time. When you’re considering window tint, check with nearby shops to find the best deals if cost is an issue.
6. Tinting your car windows can make it difficult for police officers and other authorities to see into your car, giving you more privacy than you might like; before buying, be sure that you do not mind losing some of the anonymity that comes from having no tint on your windows.
7. If you will be driving through multiple climates or you want to improve the safety of your car, consider buying different types of tint for different windows; this will give you the best lighting and shading options for all conditions you might encounter while driving.
8. Different types of car window tints are available in varying shades of darkness, allowing you to choose the type of tint that best fits your needs.
9. Although it may be tempting to have every window in the car tinted, keep in mind that this can restrict visibility when driving or decrease safety because you might not be able to see outside the windows when they are completely covered in film. Decide which windows need tinting and which can be left bare.
10. In most cases, the best type of window tint is a reflective one that reduces heat from entering the car by reflecting it back outside.
Which window tint percentage is right for you?
There are a variety of tint percentage options for car windows. The most common legal tint percentages in the US are 5% and 35%. However, you can go as low as 0% on certain windows, while going higher than 50% on some is possible.
Most states have a minimum legal limit, but that doesn’t mean the tint looks good on every car. It’s almost always best to go with the legal limit, but you can strain your eyes at night trying to see through a window that’s too dark. If you have a very light-colored car, it might be worth going higher than the minimum legal percentage for added comfort and style inside the car.
However, keep in mind that most darker tint percentages transmit less heat, making the car cooler. There are pros and cons to all tint percentage options, so you’ll have to experiment with different shades to find the most suitable window tint for your car.
Window tint is an investment in your driving comfort and style. It provides much-needed relief from sunlight when you drive, adds privacy to your car, and protects the interior of your car from damage due to fading. You can always reduce or increase the darkness later if you find that one tint percentage isn’t what works best for you. Through testing different tint percentages, you can find out what looks best on your car and feels most comfortable for you.